Friday, April 10, 2015

Stuff

     Think I have enough stuff at the moment to build about eighty spinners of various sizes.  That should last me till the second, or maybe the third, coming.  Guess I'm gonna have to figure out how to survive those comings.  Once everyone is gone the fishing should get a whole lot better.  Wouldn't want to miss out on that.
     At the moment I'm sitting in the family room with a pair of grandsons watching one of the Alvin and the Chipmunk movies.  Didn't care for their songs when I was a kid or any of their cartoons in the following years.  Ah well, if I had a nickel for every time I read something like that in Lee Wulff's essays….
     Looking forward to tying the #8 treble hooks.  No doubt I'll grumble my way through them but'll figure it out eventually.  Now that I'm home there's new color combinations to choose from.  Grabbed the basics for Alabama and threw them together willie-nillie.  Ask any bass or walleye fishermen of note and they'll tell you that color's a big deal to fish.  No doubt in my mind they're right,.  Yet, outside of a change of blade color, I've paid color no heed.  I like bright.  I like natural.  Look in the box and tie on what feels right at the moment.  Eenie, meenie, mynie, squirrel tail.  Or maybe yellow and white.  Ooh, flashabou.
     Then there's choice of tackle box.  Think I have an old over and under out in the garage.  It worked in the past as a Boundary Waters box.  When we started doing the long trips into Canada it was left behind to gather dust.  Two week trips called for big food packs and tackle bags.  Lotsa lures and gear. But a five day-er calls for paring down.  As does my aging back and muscles.
     Then there's rods.  The two buck, sixty year old, thrift shop, fiberglass Shakespeare's going along.  Blast from the past and still a fine rod.  Also learned recently its sliding reel mount can do double duty as a fly reel mount.  Don't think that was the idea behind its design but what the heck.  The temptation of several rods wants to draw me into filling three rod tubes but no, two is the limit.  Two rods, three reels (if I bring a fly reel) and some backup line.
     More later.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment