Friday, February 17, 2017

The Candle

     Over the last few years I've posted close to six hundred blog entries. Don't know if that's a sign of an active mind or simply having time on my hands. Coincidently, the entries began not long after I retired, so call it time on my hands. Most of the posts have been about the past. Makes sense, I've had a lot more of that than what's left of my life. Not complaining, that's just the way she is. Also, writing of the past allows me to relive it, see some of the truth behind the scenes that I missed while time was whizzing by and have a little mental fun at the same time. It's like trying to grab a handful of water. Runs away faster than a man gran get a grip on it.
     These days I'm into using the entries as a base for a few books. Three for sure, maybe four. All well and good. I'm having a fine time and leaving something of me behind for my grandchildren to use as a model of what not to do with their lives. Not that my days have been a complete mess, more that the screw-ups of my life tend to be more memorable. It's like the old saw about being in combat, ninety-nine percent boredom and one percent terror.
     But I'm running into problems. At my age, two weeks shy of my seventieth birthday, my chances to write of future days in the outdoors are dwindling. Not much candle left. Me, I see what wax and wick remains as opportunity but one that's quickly melting away. Best use the light before my world goes dark. Others, loving others, also see what's left as opportunity. Opportunity for me to snuff the flame before its time but I still get on my bike each morning. Maybe they're right, but I don't think so. Not yet anyway.
     Thank God for grandchildren. They give me the opportunity and excuse to head to the woods and waters I love when I'm an even older old man. They're also teaching me patience as I wait for them to grow up a little. Took a while before my son was old enough to join me on a paddle toward the horizon. I couldn't have done it without him. We partnered on our trips. Good way to share life with a son.
     Now it's my grandson Jakob and his dad, Ryan. Jakob wants to go of his own volition. Or so I've been told. Heading to the Boundary Waters with the two of them is a joy for me and hopefully, for them. A chance to clarify the vision in their heads with experience. Fantasy becomes reality. The same goes for me and also gives me fodder for future entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment