Sunday, August 2, 2015

Paddles Redux

     After about a dozen hours of sawing, gluing, planing and sanding, I'm starting to think the two children's paddles are going to be okay.  I'm hoping for better than okay but have my doubts.  Next couple will be done differently.  Not sure how exactly but I will make construction changes.  My problem is getting a tight joint when I glue up the blade.  Blame that on a combination of operator error and equipment.  The gappage isn't earth shaking but wide enough to possibly solve with a little wood putty.  I know, craftsmen don't need no stinkin' wood putty.  Guess that says a lot about what kind of workman I am.  So long as they don't fall apart in the hands of one of my grandkids, I'll be happy.
     I wanted to properly use the word 'redux' in the blog tile and came close.  Seems redux is a return with a positive spin.  I'll call my use a spin-less return with a possible hint of the negative depending what the grandkids say.  Don't know how well I'd take, "Geez Gramps, this paddle sucks.  You sure don't know what you're doing, do you?"  I'm thinking about making a ten foot pole kinda like the one's used by wild ricers to push their canoe through the reeds.  They do it while standing up.  If you know me, you know I don't ever stand up in a canoe but that's not what it's for.  If I ever hear paddle complaints arising in the front of the boat, the pole will come in handy as an attitude adjuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment