Sunday, August 23, 2020

No Free Lunch

     I've been thinking about next year since we got home from Voyageur's National Park. We're moving into a new world affecting where we might go and the possibilities are growing ever more limited. Questions arise. If the border opens, do we want to go to Canada? Are we up for the 900 mile drive to Grass River Park or would something closer to the border be better? The thing about 900 miles is the drive back; the excitement of what's up ahead is gone and the road home seems endless. Is the possibility of better fishing worth the effort required? The drive and a few other factors told me no and I sent off an e-mail canceling the Elbow lake trip we'd reserved better than a year ago. It hurt but felt right.
     Then there's the cost. Steve Japp at the Elbow Lake Lodge out of Cranberry Portage, Manitoba is more than generous and offers what I consider affordable, good, possibly great fishing. His rate is my benchmark. But that brings me back to the 900 mile drive. To get similar fishing calls for a Canadian fly-in and more than doubles the price. However there are a few, closer to the border alternatives that both intrigue and run about the same price. They're possibles. I won't say any more till we make up our minds.
     That brings us back to Minnesota, the cabin or the border lakes—closer, affordable but one thing's for sure; there's no way in hell we'd hit the border lakes in late July again. I don't need phenomenal fishing but without the possibility, what's the point in going? Last year's trip was a major disappointment. Finally there's the cabin and the dozen or more out of the way, quiet little lakes I've found over the decades that provide both good fishing and the comfortable feel of home water. For the moment I'm hung on the horns and at my age it's not the tolerable joy it once was.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment