Monday, June 2, 2014

The Beast

     Here's the plan, call it way past Plan B, and it goes something like this:  I have no problem being that weird old man who fishes the local lakes in an odd manner.  Call it a case of no pride.  Last Saturday I wade fished the local water.  Even though I again caught nothing, I had a good time.  And figure that might be a fishing future I could live with.  Though catching something now and then would perk things up.
     My waders are lo-tech ones that don't breathe.  They also don't leak and get me off the shore, about belly button deep.  Puts me out where most of the shore fishers float their bobbers and where I'd be positioning a canoe to work the shore and drop off.  So far so good.
     The next phase is the rod.  Don't get me wrong, I love using a fly rod but I'm just not that good with one.  That's honesty.  And don't feel there's enough time in my life to get a whole lot better at it.  That's laziness.  So I've been scouring the outdoors sites to see what appeals.  I believe I even mentioned noodle rods in the past.  Long, whippy and can cast a small spinner from here to kingdom come, however far that might be.  From what I gather they're more or less like a fly rod with a spinning reel attached.  Seems I have what might work, a ten foot, eight weight with two stripping guides much like a spinning rod.  It'll either work or it won't.  If it doesn't, I'll buy a noodle.  If it does it'll be me, my green, waterproof bibbers and the long stick, not catching fish but with a new attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment